by Johanna Blendow, Lead EF Student Leadership Program Ninja
There is a comfortable breeze today, and the usually grey sky is that rare shade of baby blue. It feels like summer is blowing us one last kiss of sunshine, before autumn sweeps through the door. October is just around the corner, which means that it is finally time for this month’s Fun Facts!! Alors :)
1. The elevators here are absolutely ruthless. The doors will happily chop you in half.
2. Shanghainese people take lunch-naps. It really does not matter where they happen to be, or what they happen to be doing, because when its naptime, its naptime. So don’t be surprised if your Chinese office colleague suddenly puts his/her cheek to the keyboard, and fills a few word documents with incomprehensible text. Old or young, blue-collar or white-collar. To quote Ernest Hemingway: “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?”
3. People burp without shame.
4. Mobile ring-tones are loud and unique. Don’t be surprised if, on the train, the elderly lady’s phone suddenly breaks into a very loud “Oops, I did it again”, or the businessman’s leather briefcase starts vibrating to the screeching chorus of “Hard Rock Hallelujah.” Also, people tend to let their phones ring for quite a while before answering, to fully enjoy that groovy music of theirs. ;)
5. No one ever wears a helmet.
6. People try very hard to avoid tans. Whenever the sun it out, they will carry umbrellas. If you go to a waterpark, they will ride the waterslides in jeans and dresses. If you’re at the beach, they will lounge underneath a towel.
7. Everyone drinks tea.
8. People are bold and honest. If you have beautiful eye-lashes, they will tell you so. If you’ve gained a few kilograms, they won’t hesitate to inform you of this. If you’re nail-varnish needs to be re-applied, you will be told. Don’t take offense, because their honesty is always well-intentioned.
9. A guy will carry his girlfriend’s handbag for her, any day. He will do it without a bat of the eye, even if it’s something as indiscreet as a hot-pink, Prada Saffiano.
10. Frilly dresses are the new black.
Do you have anything to add to our list? Comment below!
Johanna Blendow is our Lead EF Student Leadership Program Ninja. Check out her travel blog here.